Taking the first step to begin with a divorce is a decision that doesn’t always come easily.
Making choices about your family situation in a time of emotional change can be difficult.
If you have children it is important to get legal advice about the arrangements involving your children after you separate from your spouse. It is also important to get legal advice about any property and financial matters.
Thankfully the process of making an application for divorce can be straightforward.
The following steps are a quick guide to divorce in Queensland:
- The first thing that you should do if you are considering divorce is contact a Family Lawyer for advice. Our Lawyers at Gayler De Vere Legal offer legal consultations to discuss your divorce.
- Complete and sign the Application for divorce which is available online.
- File your application online with the court and pay the court fee. You will also need to file a copy of your Marriage Certificate.
- Serve the application. If you have made a joint application with your spouse you will not need to serve the application. If you have made the application on your own, you will need to have the application served on your spouse and file evidence in the Court that you have taken this step.
- Attend a hearing. You will need to attend a court hearing if you have children under the age of 18 or if either you or your spouse elects to do so.
- A Divorce Order will be sent to you by the court one month and one day following the Divorce Hearing.
If you wish to discuss Divorce or any other Family matters with us, please call Lauren De Vere or Georgia Johnson on 4124 7100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org